March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Apples to oranges

Looking twice as big the Simonini exhaust system is only ~2 kg heavier than the old one.
Knowing very little myself about 2 stroke engine performances in relation to exhaust systems I have tried to find out, mainly through the web, how it works.
Here is the short version (for the long version Google “tuned exhaust system”...):
The exhaust, forming a wave, start by going down the pipe and then - during the same cycle - bounces on the back wall and goes backwards pushing fresh mixture back into the cylinder
. 
Click the picture to see the animation
(Source http://www.southernskies.net/page_info/runningtwostrokeengine.html)
I.e. each cylinder need an individual exhaust system and anything looking like a “Y” should be banned...
To get maximum benefit from this wave movement the exhaust system need to be “tuned” in terms of volume, length and shape. 

Forget cutting a bit and adding another bend to squeeze in the exhaust system under the hood. Doing that will inevitably reduce performance.

7 comments:

  1. hi,
    good luck with the Simonini install. I used to fly ultralights/ LSA when the biggest rotax you could get was the 503. I'm glad to see someone try something different.

    I am looking at a simonini engine for a paramotor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pete!
    Simonini has a good reputation in paramotors over here. If you go for one, let us know what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make and shape 2-stroke exhausts professionally and as long as you keep the bends smooth, a tuned exhaust will work fine - especially in the relatively low RPM ranges that 2-Stroke aircraft engines operate. Have a look at off-road motorcycle pipes (google 'cone pipes) and you'll get a feel for what's possible.
    RC San Diego UL pilot

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello, i have hovercraft witch ROTAX 503. I made amateur tuned exhaust damaged pistons :-(
    I need new tuned exhaust. Can you send me producer this tuned exhaus system or some plans to making. Thanks Hejna (I am from Czech rep.)
    hejna@ausys.cz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hejna,
    The tuned exhaust system is made by Simonini and is delivered with the engine. They have a few different models depending on your planned installation. I don't know if there is anyone making tuned systems for Rotax.
    Regards
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello I,am Anatoly.Need Rotax 582 exhaust mufflerwith delivery.How mutch?I,am from Latvia
    krasan@inbox.lv

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anatolijs,
    I'm sorry I do not have the 582 exhaust muffler available to sell.
    Regards,
    Fred

    ReplyDelete

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.