March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Wednesday 27 November 2013

Details

Winter flying is fun but cold... 
Last winter, flying with my skis, I was really missing heating in my plane. Surfing the web I found what appeared to be an interesting solution. It arrived today from T7DESIGN:

It is an incredibly compact heater (maybe that is why they named it "Micro Heater") that weigh only 580 grams while rated for 2,2 kW. Well worth a try - it can't get any colder anyway...  

Differential breaks 
I never succeeded to hold my plane on the foot breaks and had difficulties applying even pressure on the breaks when trying to slow down rapidly so I replaced the individual foot breaks with a central break handle on the stick already some years ago. It worked very well and I never had any problems with the ground handing due to central break.
But it is not perfect, you cannot turn "around one wheel" when needed and turns can sometimes be wider than allowed for, particularly on mountain fields. So I decided to improve my system by installing a dual break handle on the stick. It is a kit of 2 bicycle handles that I merged into one. I'm sure it will be easier to apply even pressure by hand than by foot.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Fred, nice to know that you work is in progress. Here in Brazil we don't need a heater (the sun do all the work by itself). Just please be careful with this little heater, it could be a good fire source!
    About the differential brakes, I like the foot brakes very much. I think I can handle then better when a short landing is needed. Do you think you be able to apply the same brake force in both wheels when landing? If you fly right hand, I think the right brake will be more pressed, because of the positio of your hand.

    Merry cristimans and a happy new year! Cheers!

    Gabriel.

    ReplyDelete

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.