March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Monday 17 October 2011

The perfect excuse for a long flight...

The Pyrenees
A few weeks ago I had to go down to the south of France by the Pyrenees.  How fun is a 6 hour drive without the family on a crowded motorway and then the same way back again? Humm... but there is a field next to where I’m going… and the people I should meet could pick me up… I could bring my tent and fly back the next day… sounds like a plan… With an excellent weather forecast this was a perfect excuse for doing a long flight.
Camping at the local flying club
9h10 in the air, 1156 km according to my GPS, i.e. an average speed of 126 km/h (78 mph).  Constantly running on 5400 RPM, this is higher RPM (and higher speed) than what I use to do but with that kind of distance… Consumption was 16 l/h but more relevant might be consumption over distance: 12,6 liters for 100km. Compared to my rotax this is a 20% reduction in consumption and a gain of 15km/h.
I will come back to more detailed consumptions for evening “sightseeing” flights. However, I’m convinced that I have the almost optimum pitch setting between power and speed on my WarpDrive and if I want to get more out of the engine I will need to get another prop. But that will be for next year.

Millau Viaduct - so tempting but so forbidden... 
I now have 17h30 on the engine. No bad surprises whatsoever. My Victor 2 was running smoothly. I still have some vibrations at low RPM but at higher RPM she is steady as a rock and very reactive. If not running for over a week I need to clean the sparkplugs as they fill up with oil – I try to see it as an opportunity to make an additional engine visit at pre flight.
Home again
And I saved time... less than 4 hours in the air to get there while it would have been 6 hours in the car...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Fred,
    nice blog... and very interresting because it's very difficult to have feedback on the Simonini Victor 2 engine.
    What is the reduction ratio of the gearbox ?
    What was the original cruse speed with the Rotax 532 (at which rpm) ?
    Keep on giving us feedback on your 'adventure'.
    Good flights.
    Bruno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bruno!
    With a 2 blade wood prop in mind I got the 1:2.76 gearbox for the Simonini (I'm still running with my 3 blade Warp Drive but it is not optimum - at least I don't think it is). On the 532 I had a 1:2.58, speed was ~110 km/h or slightly over at 5600-5800 RPM if my memory is correct. That speed I can now do at 4800 RPM...
    Regards,
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Bruno. This feedback is greatly appreciated.
    I would like to use this engine because of its torque. The "disadvantage" is that it needs the exhaust system designed by the factory (it is very important for reaching the claimed performances) and it is quite "space consuming".

    ReplyDelete

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.