March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Monday 23 March 2015

Long time, no post...

A lot of things have been going on and I have had limited time to work on the plane and even less time to update the blog. But here it comes...


The fuselage is completely covered and Victor is back home again and happy about his shining engine mount...



All instruments are in place (well, there is one missing but I'll come back to that in a later post) and the electrical system, centralized in a lunchbox, is 95% complete.
Next to the antenna mount is a "poor man's strobe". It is a simple led strobe and no, there is no interference with the radio. Not as good a real one, but much better than nothing at a very low cost.



The bungee cord attachments have been modified, I didn't like the crossing cords (the "in -triangle" reinforcements are not in place yet - Avid Flyer pilots know what I'm talking about). Throttle handle is back where my left hand rests and I have replaced the level trim/balance bungee cord by my home made version of the Sonex trim system.


The fuel system has been review with a protected, while easy to reach, tank selector and replication of the fuel level alert led. The button in the hole is air purge valve for the feeder tank. When one wing tank is empty the level on the feeder tank goes down and triggers the alert on the dashboard. After switching to the other wing tank the fuel level in the feeder tank is increased by purging the air.



A fuel tap has been placed close to the firewall and an easy to inspect (and replace) filer. The tap is accessed from under the dashboard and a micro switch triggers the fuel alert when not completely open.


The exhaust system is as usual difficult to position due to the classic Avid Flyer landing gear. At full bungee extension the gear can touch the pipes so I have made an extendable mount, linked to the landing gear, that will protect both in case of a hard landing...

6 comments:

  1. Good to see some progress, Fred. Even a slow one. Can't wait for this summer's video...
    Glorfindel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello fred if saves and more or less fabric material for the avid serious need of great help because I will start the rebuilding of my avid. need to know the liter of glue and fabric aproximadad 900mm or 1800mm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see pictures of your project. Have you happen to keep a log about time you have spent so far?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When you love, you don't count"
    There are things we better don't know... How much time and how much money we spend on our airplanes definitely belong to this category. Some parts are amazingly fast like covering with Oratex, while all pre-work and all details take forever. I'm spending a lot of time "customizing" details now when I have the opportunity of doing the modifications I have been wanting to do for a long time. Right now I'm modifying the doors so that the upper part can be opened independently of the door. I had done a "quick and dirty" version on the pilot side a long time ago and I'm now doing it "right" for both pilot and passenger. Doesn't sound that hard but it takes a lot of time...
    I did a pair of wheel caps yesterday night, took almost no time...
    Regards,
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  5. "When you love, you don't count" ... so very true. Btw. Do you had those static pressure holes at that position already before recovery project? I have trying to decide where to put them in my Avid. Care to share any experience?

    Regards,
    Keijo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keijo,
      yes, I'm reusing the old position of the static pressure holes as they worked well in the past. The position is vertically below the rear end of the turtle deck. The fuselage is 65 cm high at this point and the holes are positioned at 25 cm counted from the bottom. I can't guarantee it is the optimum position.
      In the left hand lower corner of the inside photo in the March 23rd post you can see a few loops of the static tube. This is to have the same length to both sides to both sides from where the tube is split. I tried to figure out if this was really necessary and while I concluded it was probably not, I still left the extra length... It can't hurt but I would be interested if someone could confirm either way...
      I hope this helps and don't hesitate to share your experience or comment on my work.
      Regards
      Fred

      Delete

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.