March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Tuesday 16 August 2016

Old dreams never die...

If you followed this blog you know that 3 years ago I started a flight around France, planned for a week but interrupted when stopped (by a hard landing) at lunch the first day. If you go to my youtube page you can see the film ("I had a dream"). Well, revenge is a dish best served cold... so after 3 years, including the complete re-build of my plane, it was time to revive my dream.
With few changes to the initial plan I started my dream trip this Monday (August 15th). I must admit it was with a certain apprehension I landed (very successfully this time) for lunch at the same airfield as 3 years ago. 
I continued my trip by flying over a selection of the Loire valley castles. Between the ones I had planned for I discovered more castles than you can shake a stick at. (By the way, I'm asking to be educated, so if someone knows the origin of this lovely expression please post it in the comment/question section.)
Le Château de Chambord


Le Château de Chenonceau
After the castles I spent the night a tiny, private, airfield. I had called in advance and was met by local pilots as friendly as their clubhouse was charming... I will be returning!
The Jacopeau clubhouse
In this charming clubhouse there is a bar, a kitchen, shower and a beds for passing pilots... My plane slept in the hangar while I declined the bed and slept outside in my tent in the (slightly) fresher night - it is exceptionally hot here at the moment.
The second day I continued towards the Atlantic coast flying over amazing sceneries.. 
While far from finished I feel I can declare this adventure a success - I have reached the first of the islands, Belle Ile:
Le Palais Belle Ile
Admire the absolutely charming control tower...
Belle Ile control tower, arrival and departure halls, airport bar and offices,.. 
"Belle Ile" means the beautiful island, I will be spending all day tomorrow exploring the island but so far it looks very promising.
OK, I know, you are not following my blog to read about my holidays and other of my wet dreams so back to basics... I'm now at almost 90 hours on the Simonini and the last 8 has been in very hot conditions. The engine is behaving very well, no issues starting and well in flight. I removed the last strip of alu tape on the radiator at my first landing as the hot weather slightly increased the normal temperatures. Level flight around 65 degrees Celsius and about 80 when climbing. No issues to report.
To be followed...




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.