March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Wednesday 24 August 2016

The last island

As expected, Monday morning the wind had dropped and I could continue my journey. 
Leaving Ile d'Yeu
Traditional extraction of sea salt
Next stop was Ile d'Oleron, the last of the 3 islands. Having lost 2 days I planned only a lunch and on the VAC it said "restaurant at the airfield".
Approaching Ile d'Oleron (oyster culture I think...)
When arriving, in a rather different but very nice restaurant, it was to be informed by the owner, having his lunch with his parents, that the restaurant is closed on Mondays (and Tuesdays as we were past the magic French date "August15th"....) BUT if I didn't mind sharing their bread, sausage, pate, ham and melon I was more than welcome... 
The closed but still welcoming restaurant
A very nice meal and the father's stories from his career as helicopter pilot continued while he drove me to the filling station in his cabriolet...
The Courdouan lighthouse and sandbanks where the Gironde river meet the sea
Beach at the Atlantic coast
After that, 2 days with my wife and children in the Basque country before taking off for the center of France. 

Meeting up with wife and children



The mountain in the center of France, Massif Central, consist of rather low mountains and plateau. Compared to the alps, cross country is easy as there is easy to find places for eventual emergency landings (always know where to land!). While in the middle of the summer and thermal activity at it's maximum there conditions, even at mid day are calm compared to the alps. 
An impressive bend of the Lot river
I'm in Dordogne and settled down down for the night.
When in Dordogne duck breast is the given dinner...
So much for sightseeing... I noted a greater than normal EGT difference between the 2 cylinders and took out the spark plugs. One spark plug had some "stuff" between the electrode and whatever the other part is called... I cleaned them and the temperature was back to normal. My theory is that they don't like to start drowned in oil... While the new, longer, sparkplugs allows me to start even after a longer period of rest one sparkplug of each cylinder is still drowned in oil whilst the other is protruding and allows the engine to start. So, short stop not a problem, longer stop better purge the oil before starting. 
It is very hot here, 37 degrees celsius, 100 Fahrenheit, and the engine is taking excessive RPM at takeoff if I pull full throttle. When I grow up I will get an in flight adjustable prop...

To be followed...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.