March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Monday 13 June 2011

Finally and Wow!

Everything connected and ready to run!
 
There are some minor details that will be done later but today I took my bird down to the field to test the engine for the first time.
I had charged my battery over night but it didn’t stand a chance. The compression in the Simonini has nothing to do with my old and tired 532. Luckily we always have a fully charged regular car battery at the club and with that the engine fired as soon as the fuel reached the carburettors. A few seconds of choke and she was running smoothly. Maybe a tendency to vibrations at low rev but I run with the cowling open due to the external battery so that will have to be confirmed. However, steady as a rock at higher revolutions. Unfortunately my old Tiny Tach was not compatible with the new ignition (bailed out at 9999 rev/min...) so I could not safely test the full potential. I’m expecting that I have to adjust my prop (or replace it) so I was afraid of exceeding maximum RPM (6200). A new Tiny Tach should be arriving later this week...
First impression was really Wow - this is more power than I expected. I was impressed and so was the crowd that had gathered. There is no question that I have more, much more, power than before.
The sound is exciting, not too loud and not to high pitch. Appears lower from inside the plane than my 532. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.