March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Monday 20 June 2011

First flight experience and sound

Following Peter’s advice I adjusted the propeller pitch before my first test flight. This was the first time I’ve touched the pitch and I had been told that 1° is about 300 RPM for 60hp. I started with 2° and got 6350 RPM static. Another 2° got it down to 6100. That should do for test flights and I will fine tune later if required. But the more pitch the less power at takeoff and climb. 4° appeared to be a lot... 
There is nothing you can’t do with an iPhone (the app is iHandy Level)

For the first time in 21 months I was about to fly again... lined up at the end of the field, full power, breaks released... oh yes, there was takeoff power left. Must have been my shortest takeoff ever in despite of the light tailwind. Acceleration and climb... a little too concentrated on flying to verify the climb rate (will do that next time) but it was steep...
I did 3 takeoffs (and obviously 3 landings) for a total of 35 minutes in the air so I don’t have more than first impressions to share. I hope to fly again Friday this week.
Both on the ground and in the air the sound is lower than 532/582. That the exhaust pipes end almost behind the pilot, rather than in front of the pilot, obviously helps to lower the sound in the cabin.
Power at takeoff and clime is very satisfying.  Cruising 110 km/h at 5000 RPM (to be confirmed) no vibration and acceptable sound when removing the headset.  No tendency to vibrations at higher RPM and stay at set speed.
Click here if you want to listen to the Italian tigress’ roar. You can either listen directly using the player at the page or download the mp3 file. The recorder is set on the ground about 1 meter from the wingtip and the plane secured.  There is some wind noise, sorry about that... It almost sounds like 2 engines running in parallel. I wonder if this is due to the individual pipes or if there is some carburettor fine-tuning to be done.

5 comments:

  1. Is it a Warp Drive prop ? What a sophisticated adjustment tool :) What I use is a about a 4 mm wire, which is bent on both sides at the same direction 90 degree about 15 cm. Length is 2/3 of the prop. One leans on the prop hub flat, the other is on the 2/3 on the prop (flat side). I turn the prop until both edges evenly lays on the other end of the bent wire. I repeat that for every prop. (Much cheaper than Iphone... :) ) Its not brain surgery ....
    If you can get your hands on a Kool or Kievprop, give it a try... youll enjoy that too.

    However what you can share with me is the carb adjustment, which I believe Id be better check on my one. And I did not dare to do yet.
    Very nice to hear your experiance, I hope we can meet one day.
    Peter from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the sound: Nothing wrong with that , excellent, exactly as mine, probably you have better pipes than I have. This sound to you western guys may sound a bit weird, but you did not have the East German car wonder called Trabant which was a two stroke, 600 cc engine. That was a base for pioneering trikes and even today many flies. However that engine did not have a reed valve intake and no tuned exhaust. Until you see your spark plugs and colour you should not bother the carbs. This engine must sound like this. Tutto perfetto.
    Peter from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick comment on that Peter's comment about Trabant 2 stroke engine. Was that engine used also in Wartburg? I have heard Wartburg 2 stroke engine with tuned exhaust, what a difference both in sound and performance :-).
    Keijo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wartburg is a 3 cyl two stroke engine with water cooling. Trabant is two and air cooled.
    Trabis Achilles heel is the mechanical ignition braker system, while Wartburgs are tend to boil at hot weather. Wartburg sound : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJHoFKSrUaw
    Trabi sound with some suicidal video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82L2BedOY_s&feature=related
    Peter from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sound link appears broken. I would love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.