March 2017 banner

March 2017 banner

Wednesday 29 June 2011

Second flight

I did fly last Friday as planned. Rather windy and with strong thermals, i.e. not the ideal conditions to make precise performance or consumption measurements.
For the next flight I will do some prop adjustments by increasing the pitch even more. I know little about props but I have the feeling I don’t get the most out of the current setup. 

The first consumption number after 1 hour flight in rough conditions is ~13 l/h (3.4 gallons US/hour).  This is 25% less than my 532 at comparable speed (but with incomparable takeoff and climb performance). However, don’t consider this as final numbers!

2 comments:

  1. About prop adjustment. What you may also do is to get a pull scale, and do a static thrust test. You set the prop pitch according to the highes trust, which is not necessarily going to be the smallest pitch. Than you go for a couple of prop tryouts...
    I have already experianced more than 20% difference in static thrust with different props, however all props were recommended for same power engine.
    If you have longer field you may adjust your max static spin below 6000 rpm, and you will stil get good power. Your cruse speed will increase.
    Peter from Hungary.

    ReplyDelete

Questions and comment are welcome in French, English and Swedish. Replies will however always be in English.